A word from US
In this article
- Haag, C. (2017, July 23). Advocacy for education based on emotional intelligence. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/plaidoyer-pour-une-education-basee-sur-lintelligence-emotionnelle-81235
- Labelle, A. (2019, June 18). No less than 27 human emotions. Radio-Canada. https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1055284/humains-27-emotions-etude-dacher-keltne-chercheurs-americains
- Minichiello, F. (2017). Socio-emotional skills: research and initiatives Revue internationale d'études de Sèvres, 76 http://journals.openedition.org/ries/6008; DOI: https://doi.org/10.4000/ries.6008
What Are Social and Emotional Competencies?
In this article
Publications from Higher Education Council:
- The opinion of the Higher Education Council, published in 2020, devoted to the theme of well-being at school, Child welfare at school: let's do our homework. https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/publications/bien-etre-enfant-50-0524/
- Couture, H. (2019). Child and adolescent mental health: statistical data and surveys, Studies and research, Quebec, Superior Council of Education, 24 p. https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/publications/sante-mentale-enfants-ado-50-0512/
- St-Louis, M. (2020). Social and emotional skills in education and teaching programs from early childhood to the end of primary school, Studies and research, Quebec, Higher Education Council, 44 p. https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/publications/competences-sociales-emotionnelles-enfant-50-2106/
- Parent, J. and St-Louis, M. (2020). Child well-being in primary school: a look at certain risk and protective factors: preparatory document for the Council's opinion entitled "Child well-being at school: let's do our best." homework ", Studies and research, Quebec, Superior Council of Education, 93 p. https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/publications/bien-etre-enfant-facteurs-risque-protection-50-2107
- Vlasie, D. (2021). Health and well-being of teaching staff: portrait of the situation and possible solutions, Studies and research, Quebec, Superior Council of Education, 47 p. https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/publications/sante-bien-etre-du-personnel-50-2114/
Image on page 3: The well-being of the child at school, Higher Education Council, https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/50-0524-SO-bien-etre-enfant-3.pdf
A complex version of the image is available:https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/50-0524-NA-bien-etre-enfant.pdf
Image on page 4: Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning, What is the CASEL framework?,https://casel.org/fundamentals-of-sel/what-is-the-casel-framework
- NYSEL Benchmarks, http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sss/documents/NYSSELBenchmarks.pdf
- Social Emotional Learning Standards, Illinois, https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Social-Emotional-Learning-Standards.aspx
- Social Emotional Learning, Wisconsin, https://dpi.wi.gov/sspw/mental-health/social-emotional-learning
- Hilton & Pellegrino Clusters of 21st Century Competencies, National Research Council, http://exploresel.gse.harvard.edu/frameworks/9
- Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Skills, Health and Physical Education in Grades 1–8, Ontario, https://www.ontario.ca/document/health-and-physical-education-grades-1-8/social-emotional-learning-sel-skills
- New math curriculum for Grades 1-8, Ontario, https://www.ontario.ca/page/new-math-curriculum-grades-1-8
- Administrator. (2018, July 2). 21st century skills. Information network for educational success, http://rire.ctreq.qc.ca/2018/07/competences-21e-siecle-2/
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning, What is the casel framework?,https://casel.org/fundamentals-of-sel/what-is-the-casel-framework
- Encinar, P., Tessier, D. and Shankland, R. (2017). Psychosocial skills and academic well-being in children: a pilot French validation. Childhood, 1, 37-60. https://doi.org/10.4074/S0013754517001045, https://www.cairn.info/revue-enfance2-2017-1-page-37.htm
- Education Quebec. (2021, August 12). Social and emotional skills - understanding better [video]. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-z1i_9gdBo
- Explore SEL, http://exploresel.gse.harvard.edu/, Harvard University
- Racine, M. (2020, January 27). Emotional skills: why and how to teach them ?. Information network for educational success, http://rire.ctreq.qc.ca/2020/01/competences-emotionnelles-pourquoi-comment/
- School Mental Health Ontario, https://smho-smso.ca
Are School Staff Well-prepared to Support the Social-Emotional Learning of Elementary School Students?
In this article
- Beaumont, C. & Garcia, N. (2020). Social-emotional learning in elementary school: expected teacher competencies and pre-service training. Educational research, 41. https://doi.org/10.4000/ree.544
- Bonvin, P. and Gaudreau, N. (2015). Initial training in teaching students with difficult behaviors: perceptions of future teachers in Quebec and Switzerland. Journal of Educational Sciences, 37(3), 481-501.
- Brindgeland, J., Bruce, M., and Hariharan, A. (2013). The missing piece: A national survey on how social and emotional learning can empower children and transform schools. Washington, Civic Enterprises.
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning / CASEL. (2020). CASEL's SEL Framework: What Are the Core Competence Areas and Where Are They Promoted? https://casel.org/sel-framework/
- Higher Education Council. (2020). Child welfare at school: let's do our homework. Notice to the Minister of Education and Higher Education. https://www.cse.gouv.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/50-0524-AV-bien-etre-enfant-4.pdf
- Domitrovich, C. E., Durlak, J. A., Staley, K. C., & Weissberg, R. P. (2017). Social-emotional Competence: An Essential Factor for Promoting Positive Adjustment and Reducing Risk in School Children. Child Development, 88(2), 408-416.
- Durlak, JA, Domitrovich, CE, Weissberg, RP and Gulotta, TP (2015). Handbook of Social and Emotional Learning: Research and Practice, 1st Edn. Guilford Publications.
- Gaudreau, N., Royer, É., Beaumont C., & Frenette, E. (2012). Positive classroom management: an in-service training model to help elementary teachers prevent challenging student behavior. Childhood in difficulty, 1(1), 85-115. doi: 10.7202 / 1012124ar
- Government of Quebec. (2020). Professional skills framework: teaching profession. https://cdn-contenu.quebec.ca/cdn-contenu/adm/min/education/publications-adm/devenir-enseignant/referentiel_competences_professionnelles_profession_enseignante.pdf?1606848024
- Government of Quebec. (2001). Teacher training: vocational guidance and skills. http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca
- Hymel, S., Low, A., Starosta, L., Gill, R. and Schonert-Reichl, K. (2017). Promoting Mental Well-Being Through Social-Emotional Learning in Schools: Examples from British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 36(4), 97-107.
- Jennings, PA, Brown, JL, Frank, JL, Doyle, S., Oh, Y., Davis, R. et al. (2017). Impacts of the CARE for Teachers Program on Teachers' Social and Emotional Competence and Classroom Interactions. Educ. Psychol. 109, 1010-1028. doi: 10.1037 / edu0000187
- Oliveira, S., Roberto, MS, Salgado, N., Marques-Pinto, A. and Veiga, AM (2021). Impacts of Social and Emotional Learning Interventions for Teachers on Teachers' Outcomes: A Systematic Review With Meta-Analysis. Forehead. Psychol. doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.677217
- Pelletier, MA (2015). Managing emotions in stressful situations at school: do trainee graduates in preschool and primary education feel ready? Education and Francophonie, 43(2), 201-218.
- Rimm-Kaufman, S., and Hamre, B. (2010). The role of psychological and developmental science in efforts to improve teacher quality. Teachers College Record, 112, 2988-3023.
- Schonert-Reichl, K. (2019). Advancements in the Landscape of Social and Emotional Learning and Emerging Topics on the Horizon. Educational Psychologist, 54(3), 222-232. doi: 10.1080 / 00461520.2019.1633925
- Wagner, M., Friend, M., Bursuck, WD, Kutash, K., Duchnowski, AJ, Sumi, WC and Epstein, MH (2006). Educating students with emotional disturbances: A national perspective on school programs and services. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 14(1), 12-30.
The (Not-So) Secret Life of Emotions at School
In this article
- Lamboy, B., Shankland, R., & Williamson, MO (2021). Psychosocial Skills - Development Manual. De Boeck.
- Mikolajczak, M., Quoidbach, J., Kotsou, I., & Nélis, D. (2020). Emotional skills. Dunod.
- Shankland, R. and Rosset, E. (2017). Review of Brief School-Based Positive Psychological Interventions: A Taster for Teachers and Educators. Educational Psychology Review, 29(2), 363-392. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-016- 9357-3
Optimizing the Well-being of Teachers for the Better Educational Achievement of Future Generations
In this article
- American Federation of Teachers. (2015). Quality of Worklife Survey. http://www.aft.org/sites/default/files/worklifesurveyresults2015.pdf
- McLean, L., Abry, T., Taylor, M., Jimenez, M. and Granger, K. (2017). Teachers' Mental Health and Perceptions of School Climate Across the Transition from Training to Teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education, 65, 230-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2017.03.018
- Montreuil, T., Petit, B., Briaud, M. and Carroll, MS (2020). The importance of social and emotional well-being. https://www.nosemotions.ca
- Montreuil, T. (2020a). Self-compassion. https://www.nosemotions.ca/parents/lauto-compassion
- Montreuil, T. (2020b). The importance of emotional regulation and the promotion of psychological well-being among teachers. 7e International conference in education. Montreal, Canada (April, 2020).
- Steiner, ED and Woo, A. (2021). Job-Related Stress Threatens the Teacher Supply: Key Findings from the 2021 State of the US Teacher Survey. RAND Corporation. https://doi.org/10.7249/RRA1108-1
Let's think about it
In this article
- David Goudreault, Love letter to teachers on the show “Bonsoir bonsoir.” https://ici.radio-canada.ca/
tele / good evening-good evening / site / segments / service / 368822 /
- Marie-Josée Martineau (Assistant Director at Externat St-Jean-Berchmans) in the podcast: La classe de Madame Myra, https://anchor.fm/laclassedemadamemyra/episodes/Rencontre-avecmadame-Jose-Martineau–directrice-adjointe–lExternat-St-Jean-Berchmans-eq5om4/a-a4jcc38
The Final Mark
In this article
Empathy Course Compulsory in Danish Schools
- The Alternative UK, www.thealternative.org.uk/dailyalternative/2019/10/13/denmarks-empathy-classes
- IndiaToday www.indiatoday.in/education-today/news/story/compulsory-empathy-classes-in-denmark-7-reasons-denmark-happiest-country-1634724-2020-01-07
How Can K-12 Students Learn to Regulate Their Emotions?
EdCan Network, www.edcan.ca/articles/reguler-leurs-emotions/?lang=fr
Resources for Social-emotional Learning
LEARN Quebec https://www.learnquebec.ca/fr/hwb
How can Compassionate Systems Leadership embed SEL and Well-being across an Entire School District?
EdCan Network https://www.edcan.ca/articles/compassionate-systems-leadership